Saturday, April 21, 2012

Kristin's Day Thirteen

Hey! I LOVE Saturdays.

I had some major clothes folding to do, so I watched a couple of my 15 DVRed Rachael Rays today. Here's a few things I learned...

Five Super Foods Recommended by The Biggest Loser Nutrionist:
1. Nutrional Yeast
2. Seaweed Wraps - like for sushi
3. Mong or Mung Beans? I don't know how to spell it
4. Golden Berries
5. Broccoli Sprouts
They sell NONE of these at Walmart. Anybody know where I can get some of these?

I also learned that you can make your own healthy microwave popcorn in a brown paper bag in the microwave instead of using the ones they sell in the store and they make Vegan Mayo - go figure.

The YL guys are here right now for fight night. They watch UFC on pay-per-view and then run down stairs during commercials or between fights to do their own version of the violent wrestling downstairs. I'm not kidding. Some kid just came up with a bloody nose and he said he's having a BLAST, I just don't understand boys.

While all of this was starting up, I decided to run over to Walmart to get some more Smucker's Natural and a few other things. Since the kids were down and I was not interested in what was happening at home, I decided to read some labels.

Anymore, when I pick up an item, turn it over, and see more than 15 ingredients I pretty much put it down unless it's 15 bean soup or something. I cannot believe some things I that saw. Many products that claim to be 'all natural' didn't seem to be at all. I think I need to look up some of these things on 'all natural' products that I can't pronounce. I did find out that Xantham Gum was a natural corn sugar though.

Did you know that Campell's Cream of Chicken soup has MSG in it? Yep, me either.

Ok, nuff for now. Talk to y'all tomorrow (:

4 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying reading about your fast and the insights about food. Very inspiring! I have some mung beans in my pantry. I will try to remember to send with Carys tomorrow. I usually sprout them. How were they recommending to prepare them on the show? Also, a link to a dish that is so healthy and everyone in my house will eat (not easy to find!). When I was doing the south beach diet, I just ate it without the pasta, which would work for your undertaking.

    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pasta-with-Lentils-and-Kale-238092

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! They said that they only take 20 minutes to cook off and that they are great in salad and soup. I'll have to look it up. I will definitely try the recipe (:

      Delete
  2. We have nutritional yeast at my co-op and it's awesome. I have no idea where you get it, though... there's a natural foods store in Waynesboro across the big parking lot from Crosswalk Church, maybe you'd have better luck there?

    I've noticed that a lot of foods vegans end up eating range from the super-unprocessed (like raw carrots and kale and sprouts) to the super-processed, there's-no-way-you-could-make-this-at-home kind of stuff like nutritional yeast and bizarre protein drinks. When I first started eating in my vegan co-op, all the upperclassman sprinkled nutritional yeast flakes (we call it NYF) on everything and I thought they were crazy. Now I find myself joining in the fray for NYF at the beginning of each meal more and more often... :P Most people I know just put it on everything like a condiment, although I've known people to make salad dressing out of it as well.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some! MOM's had it in the bulk section (: Can't wait to try it!

      Delete