Saturday, April 14, 2012

Kristin's Day Six

SUGAR...is in EVERYTHING!!! No, I'm like not even kidding. I knew sugar was added to a lot of stuff, but here's a few to add to my growing list:

*Dry Roasted Peanuts (in mutiple forms)
*Sante Fe frozen VEGETABLE mix
*Edamame Vegetable Salad
*Boxed Red Beans and Rice

Look, I'm not an enemy of sugar...it has its place just like everything else, but really? In peanuts? I'm in awe.

Why? Why do we add sugar to everything? In my trip to Sam's Club today (don't judge, I like that place) it took me almost twice the time because I was reading all the labels. A large portion of what I was reading contained a whole lot of chemicals I couldn't pronounce and of course, sugar. It's kinda crazy. I wonder how hard to could be to adjust our taste buds to less chemicals, sugar, and salt...guess I'm going find out at least for myself!

Ok, I'll stop being negative and on to the positive...I found some pretty good stuff including:
*Buddy Bites - all natural, 100% fruit snacks - they're not too bad
*Hummus in bulk quantity, yay!
*All natural Marinara sauce (I could read/understand all ingredients)
*Dannon Pure Yogurt with only 9 almost all understandable ingredients (what is concentrated milk protein?)
* A large portion of fresh veggies/fruit (I'll buy them here and at grocery stores until I find a CSA or the local stand opens)

At this point, I'm finding that I am eating to live instead of living to eat. I don't focus on the rules/legal stuff of this fast. I'm buying some stuff with ingredients I understand and eating it throughout the day. Meal planning for me at this point is kinda out the window, lol.

This fast is for me to deny myself, surrender, and plead with God for direction, wisdom, and strength to further His awesome kingdom. It's fantastic that I'm learning so much about food along the way. It's like my own Food, Inc. or something!

1 comment:

  1. This is Kristin - The yogurt is for the kids btw...I'm looking at what I'm buying for them too (:

    ReplyDelete