Friday, April 13, 2012

KELLY's DAY FIVE

So did not want to get out of bed this morning. And, it was one of those mornings that your children all wake up seconds after you do, even though they're not scheduled to arise for a good 30 minutes. I totally did not even have time for "Kelly's not-so-famous" tea! I poured myself a glass of OJ while my 2 year old screamed at me and proceeded to forget to eat breakfast in the morning madness to get my older two out the door.

After being up for three hours last night, I knew I was going to have to stay busy today in order to make it without wishing I had died, so I went to the organic market in a nearby town (nearby is relative when you live in the sticks...it was 45 minutes away). I bought a couple things and asked about CSAs. The lady told me about an organic beef farm miles down the road, and then a CSA which provides vegetables AND fruit several miles farther.

I got to the beef place, and asked the guy some questions. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY DO TO OUR MEAT, PEOPLE! GROSS! FDA, you should be ASHAMED of yourself! The man told me that cows that are only fed grain get sick more often, so as a preventative measure, they ADD ANTIBIOTICS to the GRAIN! On top of THAT, they shoot something into their ears that is a slow release hormone. You know what it does? It makes the cow grow FASTER! WHY in the WORLD would anyone want to eat THAT?! NASTY! The guy at the beef farm also pointed me in the direction of a free range, organic chicken farm as well! BINGO! Folks, when I start eating meat again, we're totally going free range organic. BTW: The ground beef by the pound ends up being about $3.50 a pound if you buy a certain amount. Shop around! I think the FDA is the one who is spreading the rumor that organic meat is more expensive! I'm totally going to be posting more on this soon!

When I left, I took one look at the grassy fields and the shiny, happy black cows in them and started drooling...

LUNCH: I made myself a quick little salad. Lettuce with organic salsa on top AND, get this! I found some organic salad dressing that did not break any rules! BINGO AGAIN!

I had a sliced avocado for a snack.

DINNER: Zucchini spaghetti with organic tomato sauce.
"DESSERT": A scoop of peanut butter with organic, raw honey

Then I took my six-year-old up to her girl scout camp for a sleepover. At snacktime, I pretty much wanted to curl up and die. Cupcakes, Girl Scout Cookies, chips, more cookies...more cupcakes with Hello Kitty rings on top...

I'm home. I'm beat. And, I'm meeting a friend for our annual marathon Starbucks date tomorrow. Yes. I will be driving 2 hours to buy water at Starbucks. It's gonna happen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, man, Kelly, you don't even want to know what they do to chickens... and if messing around with antibiotics and hormones in cows isn't bad enough, there's the whole issue of genetic modification--like injecting DNA from deep-sea jellyfish into tomatoes, so that the tomatoes won't be destroyed when they're frozen and shipped. We live in a crazy world.

    Also, I think there are some relatively close sources of organic food. There's Pure and Simple Cafe, and the Butcher Shoppe, which my neighbors own. They aren't super-close, but I think they might be closer. Anyway, you should shop around and see what you like at each place.

    Glad to hear that the fast is going well!

    ReplyDelete