Thursday, April 19, 2012

Israeli Honey...sweet, sweet, sweet...

Good Day ELEVEN morning!

My husband and I went to Israel in February for ten days to visit our dear friends, Stewart and Elizabeth, who are living there for another year+. You can read all about our trip on my blog if you'd like (use my google sidebar to google Israel) to read all about it, day by day. I still have two more posts to complete our trip, but they're coming! I promise!

Now, I must tell you that I do NOT LIKE HONEY!!! Never have! So, when going to the "Land flowing with milk and HONEY," I thought I should try some HONEY (consequently, I did NOT try the MILK). The honey was readily available. Elizabeth had a huge jar of it waiting for us. It was SO...VERY...THICK (thicker than peanut butter), and (I'm assuming they did not add crack to it) it was SO...VERY...ADDICTING! I bought a jar to bring home with me, inaccurately thinking that it would last me "forever." It lasted one week. I also must say that I am the only one who ate any of it. It was about a quart of honey. Yes, you heard me correctly. It lasted ONE...WEEK.

I begged and pleaded with my friend, Elizabeth...I cried out to her. I bullied her and threatened her. She relented. Okay, so it didn't go like that. It went something more like this:

Me: "Elizabeth, I will love you for ever and ever if you will sent me some of that sweet, sweet nectar. I will be your Bath and Bodyworks supplier if you will be my honey dealer."
Elizabeth: "I can't send glass bottles, but I can put them in rubbermaid containers, and if you will send me rubbermaid containers, because I can't get them here, I will send you honey."
Me: "You are my true hero, and I will give you a kidney, should you need one later in life and we find that I would be a perfect match..."
(For the record, I would give Elizabeth my kidney even if she refused to send honey. I love her that much)

Anyhow, if you've been following our story, you know that I cheated on DAY FIVE when I found raw (American) honey, and I decided that HONEY, for me, would be off limits.

Yesterday, my first shipment of Israeli goodness landed upon my doorstep. My daughter brought a package with that highly anticipated customs slip. Upon further examination, it was, indeed, from Elizabeth. I popped that bad boy open, and inside were TWO rubbermaid containers delicately cradling my newfound addiction. God bless rubbermaid. God bless Elizabeth.

I will enjoy that honey as my very sweet reward on May 19th!

No comments:

Post a Comment