Sunday, April 15, 2012

Kristin's Day Seven

Seven? We're at day seven already? Nice.

Anyway, we got to celebrate Dad's 60th birthday today! He has an amazing story. About seven years ago, he suffered an aneurism on vacation. Where on vacation? 30 minutes from the best aneurism surgeon in the country. Yep, God still does stuff like that.

His recovery was long and hard, but he's doing pretty well considering what his body went through. The docs said that he might be mean or curse after surgery because of where they needed to work on his brain...they were dead wrong. He is every bit himself minus some motivation and short term memory. He has a joke every time I see him and is always thanking God for another day.

Then, four years ago, he suffered a major heart attack. Again, the recovery was long and hard, but he's still here with us packing a pace maker lol.

My sister had the idea to put together a scrapbook with letters from family and friends recounting memories they had with Dad. Janelle sent out requests for letters and yesterday we worked about five hours putting it together for him. I have to admit, it was pretty fun and it was SO worth it.

Admidst the homemade chix corn soup, vanilla cake with chocolate frosting, and ICE CREAM CAKE...AHHH...we gave Dad his scrapbook. I'm pretty sure he loved it and I'm so glad Janelle adapted the idea (Pinterest is AWESOME).

I have to say that I had no anger toward my family as they ate all of this delicious food while I had raw veggies with hummus and grapes.

I pray that I am able to leave a legacy for my children the way my Dad has for us. I'll mention three of my fondest memories as I close with you:
*I would sometimes spy on him early in the morning as he read his bible, prayed and sang
*He would teach us scripture verses and he would have us repeat them before we slept
*He loves to sing (he has a beautiful tenor voice). Whenever anyone tells him he sings well, he always says...Well, Praise the Lord (:

LOVE YOU DAD so glad we had another day with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment