Thursday, April 26, 2012

Kristin's Day Seventeen - Bread success!!!

Hey there! Sorry about last night, but after YL Club Tuesday and YL Campaigners Wednesday I'm worn out!

Anyway...I borrowed* my sister's bread machine yesterday. Once I got it home, I watched the VCR instructional tape (yep, the machine is a tad dated) and attempted a loaf of Whole Wheat Bread.

Here are the ingredients - Andy calculated that the loaf cost to be approx $1.20

1 cup + 2 tbsp Water
3 tbsp Honey
1 1/2 cup Bread Flour
1 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Four
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Bread Machine Yeast

I really LOVE that ingredient list!! No crazy words I can't read or comprehend!!

The tape showed some loaves that failed and I was sure that I would get a dud - me and baking (even machine baking) are not friends. Kelly taught me how to make chocolate chip cookies just last year. My poor hubby loves soft cookies and I couldn't get it right until Kelly taught me, ugh. So I had a tad bit of anxiety as the machine did its thang. BUT! Lo and behold this was the result



YUM (can't wait to try this)! The slices are so big that I can use one piece for sandwiches for the kids. I might get a bread slicer guide thingy to help me cut thinner slices with the electric knife. Straight lines whether cutting or slicing are an impossibility for me too, ha.

I know that rising and kneading your own dough might taste a little better or be more rewarding, but I have three young kids and a crazy schedule so a bread machine will be okay with me!

*When I 'borrow' from my sister it usually means I keep and use said item for an extremely long period of time and then end up buying her the item that I 'borrowed'.

PS - I also bought the fam some Trickling Springs Farm Fresh Milk (now at Paul's Country Market) and drank green juice for the first time yesterday. I couldn't tell ya how the milk tasted, but at least I know where it came from! The green juice was scary looking to be honest, but pretty good.

It's hard to find some good quality time to spend praying and reading on Tuesdays and Wednesdays...I feel like I'm running on fumes. Hopefully I'll get a date in with Him today (:

1 comment: