Monday, April 23, 2012

Bread

Hey Gang!
It's Kelly.

I just have to get this off my chest:  BREAD!
BREAD!
Folks, it's yeast, flour and like eight other ingredients!  I basically gave up in the bread aisle this morning after I called Kristin in a frantic stupor.  Her family eats more sandwiches than mine.  My daughter will eat everything ON a sandwich, but she will not eat the bread.  It's how she rolls.  Anyhow, we just don't eat it a whole lot, and to be honest, I've been avoiding the bread aisle because I know it's going to open up another can of worms.  After looking at the ingredients of every brand and kind of bread in the aisle while standing next to the "bread man" who was restocking the shelves (and surely looking at me like I was nuts), I finally grabbed "Sara Lee 45 calories and Delightful 100% Multi-Grain" bread.  Whoa!  That's a mouthful!  Here's why.  After looking at other breads where the second ingredient was "high fructose corn syrup," I thought that a "low cal" bread wouldn't have as much sugar.

Bear with me here while I step onto my soapbox...
FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!!! bread.  Bread!  BREAD...has more high fructose corn syrup than it has FLOUR?!  Is it just ME, or does anyone else want to picket outside the bread factories with me tonight?!  (jk.)

Here's what's in the bread that I bought:
Whole Grain
Water
Wheat gluten
Corn starch
yeast
sugar
cellulose
Then is states: "Contains 2% or less of each of the following"
High fructose corn syrup
salt
dough conditioners (What the heck is THAT?)
calcium propionate (preservative...um, GROSS!)
Distilled vinegar
guar gum (There's GUM in my bread?  And, WHAT is "GUAR"?)
soybean oil
maltodextrin
yeast nutrients
flax seed
wheat bran
sucralose
corn syrup solids (now, doesn't THAT sound appetizing?!)
natural flavors
honey solids
soy lecithin
milk
soy flour
Count 'em!  That's 25 ingredients. (Two-Five)

My mom grinds her own wheat and makes her own bread.  These are the ingredients in HER bread:
wheat flour
water
canola/olive oil blend
honey
freshly ground flaxseed
salt
egg
lecithin (ground up soybeans)
(sometimes gluten)
yeast
That's TEN ingredients, and I know what they all ARE!  To boot, the MAIN ingredient is FLOUR!!! WHOA!

I think I'm going to go ahead and have mom teach me how to make my own bread when we're in TX this summer!  WHOOOP!

(She steps back down off her soap box and takes a bow.)
 


1 comment:

  1. Lecithin is ground-up soybeans? You learn something new every day.

    Bread definitely doesn't have to be complicated. When I make pizza dough, I just use flour, water, yeast, and a little honey for the yeast to eat. My mom bakes bread, too--I'm sure she'd be happy to show you how it's done if you're interested! It's a lot of fun.

    Ezekiel bread is supposed to be really good--no preservatives or anything, just organic sprouts.

    ReplyDelete