Sunday, March 30, 2014

Kristin's Days 28-30 - YL, movies, and pudding

Sorry I am not able to blog everyday. It's hard! A lot has happened over the last few days.

I have met with my YL friends everyday, sometimes a few appointments in the same day. I love these girls. I love talking and spending time with them. I love sharing life with them. I feel like God is doing and going and working in ways I cannot fathom. This fast is helping me remember that. My physical body is not so happy with me, but my spirit is thriving and wanting more!

We are praying that our YL friends will accept the love God has for them and that His love would transform them from the inside out. We are praying that we can take at least 30 kids (that's a human goal - our God goal is 48 kids) to camp this summer. YL camp is like paradise on earth for teenagers. It gives them an opportunity to unplug from the digital side of life, experience fun on an epic level, and hear/process the Good News all in one week's time. Every kid we've taken has agreed that it's the best week of their life. Please help us pray that fill our spots soon!

Saturday I went on a date with Andy. We went to Sitar of India in Hagerstown. I had this cauliflower potato dish without rice. It was good, but I wanna go back when I can eat Naan (awesome bread). After dinner we watched 'God's Not Dead'.

I prepared myself for the typical Christian movie...ahem. Surprisingly, it was really good. If you haven't seen it yet, please do. It was completely worth the ticket price. If anyone wants to go, I'm willing to see it again!!

As far as food goes, I'm not eating anything new. I did make Chia Seed pudding using the recipe that Sarah Miller gave me. I substituted pureed Medjool Dates for the maple syrup. It was really good!! Thanks Sarah! Breakfast for the next few mornings is taken care of!

Here you go - Vanilla or Chocolate Chia Pudding by Sarah Miller
1 cup soaked cashews - overnight
2 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 vanilla seeds (or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch sea salt
 2 TBSP of cocoa powder if making chocolate chia
1/3 to 1/2  cup chia seeds
What I’ve discovered is that the secret to the texture I want is soaking your cashews overnight and the amount of time you blend your cashews and water.    I want it as close to a cashew milk as possible. 

Take 1 cup of cashews and 2 1/2 cups water and blend in your Vitamix or blender.  Allow this to blend until you barely see any remains of the cashews.  To this mixture add 3/4 cup of maple syrup, (less if you don’t like it as sweet) a pinch of salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and cocoa powder.  Blend for another 1-2 minutes.  Place this mixture in a bowl and add your chia seeds.  If you want it thicker add more chia, thinner add less.  Place in refrigerator and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes then stir it again. Chia will clump together if you don’t stir it and you’ll have a difficult time getting the right consistency!  Place chia mixture back in the refrigerator and allow to set overnight.  Enjoy for breakfast in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment