Friday, May 11, 2012

Kristin's Day 33 - This is Day 33, right?

Okay, one week to go. The race is getting shorter...amen, HALLELUJAH!

So, if you'd follwing me on FB, last night I dreamt I ate a pumpkin flavored donut slathered in white frosting with chocolate drizzle. I could smell it. It smelled so sweet. I could taste it and it was SO good. I don't really dig donuts in real life, but since this is night two of dreams with eating? I sense God is giving me a foodie blessing and I am ever so grateful. Thank you Lord for letting me indulge via dreams <3

I just finished a book called 'The Christian Atheist' by Craig Groeschel. I was a fast read and very similar to another book I've read recently called 'Not a Fan' by Kyle Idleman. I highlighted this section of the book and thought I'd share it with you. As I read it today, I was reminded how blessed we are and how we don't realize the abundance we have.

" Recently, I traveled to Tegucigalpa, Honduras, with our church to help build homes for people in need. Our translator took our leaders into the home of a single mom. To call it a home is really a gross overstatement; it was barely a shack, built mostly from cardboard. Five people lived in a space about the size of our master bedroom closet. It had dirt floors, no running water, and a hole in the back yard to take care of business. It was so dirty that it made me nervous when the sweet lady served us lunch.
     With a warm smile and more hugs than I'm used to, she placed some form of meat in front of me. Not wanting to insult her, I ate the meatlike substance, praying with each bite for God's protection. When we finished our sparse meal, my translator asked if I noticed that no one else had meat.
     Once he mentioned it, the truth hit me - every other plate had been covered in beans and tortillas. He explained that she had been told how much I like meat. Tears started to roll down my cheeks as he explained that she never enjoyed meat herself, and that she had saved her money for months to bless me with meat.
     We Christian Atheists are slaves. This Hounduran woman is truly free."

He's right. We have so much and think that we have so little. We are always trying, striving, and fighting to get more. A kind woman in a cardboard shack brought this America pastor to his knees.

God, I want to not care about 'stuff'. Lord, please help me remember how blessed I am and use what I have to love/help/serve/bless/provide those around me in your name.



No comments:

Post a Comment