Sunday, May 6, 2012

Kristin's Day 28

COMMUNION
So, I took communion today. Kelly and I completely differed on opinion with this one. As soon as I walked into the sanctuary, I saw the table with the communion stuff on it. Should I do it? I felt like I should.

This fast has taught me that I don't fill my voids with food, but with coffee, TV, and approval seeking. I'm sure there's a ton of other things God will be bringing to my attention, lol.

Today, I loved that the only bread and grape juice that have touched my lips the last 27 days was in rememberance of what He has done for me and for you.

MILK
I promised that I would write about milk today. I FINALLY finished the book: What the Bible says About Healthy Living today. Phew. There was a lot of good stuff in it, but dang was it a slow read for me.

Anyways...milk. At this point, I am completely against any growth hormone in my milk. Interestingly enough, the milk at Sam's Club and Walmart claim that no hormones are used. Huh, that's a step in the right direction. I know for a fact those cows are milk machines and don't get to enjoy being cows. It's like I'm buying slave milk or something.

So, let's chat moo juice.

Pasteurization heats the milk to kill any bacteria or disease causing thing in the milk. It sounds really smart, I don't want cow poo in my milk. There are a couple different processes to choose from, but the jist is that they heat it up and then cool it down really fast.

Homogenzied Milk. What's that? Well, lemme tell ya. Milk - even after pasteurization has pretty large fat molecules that seperate and cause the cream to rise to the top. You have to shake the milk before you drink it so the cream distributes evenly again.

Homogenzied Milk shakes things up and makes the fat molecules become smaller so you don't have to shake it. Again, sounds cool and smart, right?

Well, according to my book, the bigger fat molecules pass through your system really great, but the small fat molecules go directly to your blood stream and can raise your triglyceride and cholesterol levels unnecessarily.

Also from wikipedia:
Fans of raw milk (meaning milk that has not been pasteurized or homogenized) credit it with having more beneficial bacteria and enzymes than its processed counterpart. However, raw milk cannot be preserved for a long time and its disadvantages may exceed its benefits. In fact, raw milk is far more likely to contain harmful microbial contaminants, and pasteurization is the only effective way of killing most pathogen bacteria. On the other hand, raw milk does contain antimicrobial properties, which are destroyed with the heat of pasteurization, along with many of the vitamins within the milk itself. Raw milk consumption has also been shown to positively influence the immune system's resistance to the development of asthma, hay fever, and atopic sensitization, although the mechanism is not entirely understood. 

I'm still VERY skeptical of raw milk, but at least I know a little more about it. The Family Cow in Chambersburg makes it and sells it. Paul's Country Market also sells raw milk.

I'm pretty sure that Misty Meadows and Trickling Springs pasteurize, but do not homogenize their milk. I've bought both at this point, but they do not sell it in Gallon quantities at Misty Meadows and it's never in stock at Paul's. We go through moo juice QUICK round here.

Also, Misty Meadows only sells whole milk, which is great for Nate but the rest of the family drinks skim.  So, sadly...I am still buying milk at Walmart until I figure out my food budget (more on that later, ugh) and how to get it in gallons without paying a delivery service.

2 comments:

  1. I'd talk to Kelley Williams about the raw milk...I've bought it but we just aren't big milk drinkers (a half gallon can go to waste around here).
    I was with you on the communion issue--it was a "cheat" that was for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kristin. Paul's has had plenty of Trickling Springs milk recently. They have had skim every time I've been in the last two weeks. I wonder if they just began to carry it and had to figure out how much stock to keep. Anyhow, kudos on taking communion! I like how God worked it out differently between the two of us, but still gets the Glory! :)

    ReplyDelete