Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Kristin's Day 30

I think, YES! I actually can see the light at the end of this cheeseless, coffeeless, eggless TUNNEL!!! Home stretch, here we come (:

I am inspired right now. There are so many people who tell me that they have started a fast or want to fast. I can say, from personal experience...it is SO worth it. If you're thinking about it, do it.

What did Jesus teach his disciples about fasting??

Matthew 6:16-18
When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. "

1. When you fast...I do not think Jesus thought for a second that his disciples wouldn't fast, do you? When you fast tells me that fasting is just is part of this surrendered life thing. When you fast tells me that this will be one of many fasts I will do in my life.

2. Don't make it look like you're in pain or mourning or...or...yeah. Sure, I miss cheese and coffee, but I don't bawl like a baby in front of the deli counter or tell everyone I come in contact with that I would be a kinder person with some coffee. I look like a normal chick, going about her day...they have no idea, lol.

3. Done in secret? Well, Kelly...I think we stretched this one, but I don't know about you...this blog has been awesome. A lot of people say 'I don't know how you're doing this' but - read, know, try it!

Bottom line? You should totally fast. Media fast? Do it. Coffee fast? Do it. We live in a culture that is slathered with indulgence and the motto: You Deserve It. How can God chip away at us, work on us, speak to us if we never deny ourselves anything? Wait...another verse comes to mind.

Matthew 16:24
"Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."

Do we deny ourselves? I mean...do we? I am so glad Kelly suggested this and we're doing this. After this is over, I will need to fast from coffee regularly, so that I will not get hooked again.

I need to deny myself coffee, TV, and probably other things God will reveal on a consistent basis so that I will not worship them again. Fasting is needed. Fasting is necessary. Fasting is SO worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment