Friday, May 18, 2012

Kelly's DAY 39

~I remember day one of this fast.  I was thinking, "What have I DONE?!" 
~I remember day seven, when I thought, "Wow!  I did a whole week!  And, I'm not shaking so much!  Maybe I CAN do this!"
~I remember when we hit the halfway mark and thinking, "YAY...oh wait, that's only HALF way."
~I remember day thirty, when I thought, "Ugh.  TEN...more days."
~I remember last Saturday when I thought, "This is REALLY getting old.  We've already done this for a MONTH...isn't that enough?!"

Today, we have finished 39 days of this. 
TODAY...is day FORTY!
THIS DAY is the LAST DAY!

My thinking is returning to: "How do I return to 'normal' (whatever that is now)?"

I know several things:
1~Our MEAT will be different:  Grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free
2~Our MILK will be different: Grass fed, hormone free, low pasteurization.  Speaking of cheeses and butter, I will try to buy those organic (when possible).
3~Our VEGETABLES will be different:  Locally grown (because I know my farmers and agree with their practices) when possible, or organic when I can't get it local.  Also, I'm going to try to buy in season as much as possible.
4~Our GRAINS will be different: My wheat grinder just came in the mail the other day.  My bread machine is on the way, and my Mamma will be teaching me how to make my own breads when I'm in Texas in June!  I haven't exactly figured out rices and pastas etc yet.  I'm sure I'll have to compromise a bit because, after all, this IS America, and we don't know WHAT is in our food.
5~My SUGAR intake will be different:  I usually cake sugar onto my "healthy" cereal in the morning.  I'm so over that!  I also usually cake sugar on top of...STRAWBERRIES.  Yes, STRAWBERRIES, folks.  NO MORE!  I'm finished doing that to my body!

See, this has to be FEASABLE!  Otherwise, I'll just run back to my old ways.  I can't drive half an hour to get organic cheddar every time I'm making enchiladas!  We just don't have the resources for this new way of living to be convenient in my small Pennsylvania town.  So, I will try to plan ahead when possible, and if I decide last minute to make enchiladas and don't have any organic cheddar, then by golly, I'll run out to Martins and buy the regular stuff!  I've been eating "conventional" foods this long, and eating it once here or there won't kill us! 

On eating out:  Pretty much all bets are off...since you KNOW we're not buying organic, and you can bet your bottom dollar your Outback Steakhouse steak is NOT grass fed and antibiotic and hormone free!  Again, I'm not going to stop eating out.  It's not going to kill me to have a steak in a restaurant every so often.

So, it's day forty today!
Tomorrow, I can have cereal!
Tomorrow, I can have a cup of tea!
...a Subway sandwich!
...a cookie!
...a glass of wine!
Tomorrow, Tomorrow, the sun'll come out, tomorrow!
...you're ONLY
...a DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment