Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Kristin's Day 23

Anyhow...I'm slowly getting through this Rex Russell book: What the Bible says about Healthy Living. Before this book, I was cranking through books like a PRO. This one? Yeah, not so much. It's a little...well...boring, but it's good info so I'm gonna plow through.

So, today...I was reading about oils and meats. I'm not gonna focus on the oils cause my head hurts too much to think about it, but I'll let you in on the meat thing. The Old Testament law set up rules on what meats to eat - some were 'clean' and some were 'unclean'.

PIGS - unclean (I knew that one)
BAT - unclean (Do you know anyone who eats bat?)
VULTURE - unclean (ummm, duh)
Then this is what got me...
Crabs, lobster, shrimp, scallops - UNCLEAN?

Yeah, in the Old Testament Jews couldn't eat shrimp! I didn't know that. Thankfully, Peter got that whole vision thing about God making all meat 'clean' in the New Testament. If you wanna read about that...read Acts 11

So Rex Russell breaks down why he thinks God set those rules Old Testament rules up. Turns out, pigs...eat ANYTHING. By anything, I mean dead things, trash, poop, you name it - they eat it and they don't know when to quit. Now, I'm sure pig farmers feed the pigs we eat good stuff, right? Well, I think I want to find out cause I love me some bacon, but if the pig ate poo? I might rethink that, well...maybe.

Shellfish are bottom feeders. They take the toxins out of the water and make it clean. They eat what all the other fish near the surface of the water leave behind...get the point? They are dirty little creatures, but boy! Do they taste good!

Trust me, Rex Russell had a WHOLE lot to say that I will not regurgetate here, but I don't really think about what I'm eating like that. Before I crack open a crab, I do not comtemplate what it had to eat before it came on my plate. Thanks Rex Russell...I'm not sure where I'm gonna go from here, but I won't think of eating crabs the same. I will still eat them, though...lol.

Breakfast - Potatoes and unsweetened ketchup w/ a spoonful of PB and grapefruit juice
Lunch - Avocado with corn chips
Mid Afternoon - Apple and PB
Dinner - Carrots and Hummus (no, I did not ask Kelly what she was having...see her post. We had the same dinner, lol)
Dessert - Popcorn

PS (follow-up from yesterday) I have not looked at my number of post hits today (:

1 comment: