Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Kristin's Day 24

Shopping today was traumatizing. First of all, I can't hold a conherent thought in my head. I felt like a ping pong ball in the store. I had to go back to this aisle cause I forgot cheese or wait, let me go back six aisles to get the sandwich bags. Ridic.

So, I get to the cereal aisle. This is the first time I am buying cereal since this whole food adventure began. I am picking up boxes, reading ingredients, and then putting boxes back, shaking my head. Even the organic cereals had a paragraph of ingredients. GV Bran flakes had a paragraph of ingredients. I just don't get it. I think I spent twenty minutes just in this aisle.

 The winners for Friedman cereal this time are:

1. Rice Krispies: Rice, sugar, less than 2% salt, malt flavor 4g sugar per serving

2. Mom's Best Natural Sweetened Wheatfuls: Whole grain wheat, evaporated milled sugar, gelatin, vitamin E for freshness 11g sugar per serving

3. Alf's Nautral Nutrition Puffed Brown Rice: Whole Brown Rice (we'll drizzle some agave or honey over it) 0g sugar per serving

Yeah, yeah I know...the sweetened wheatfuls have a lot of sugar and what is malt? I'm getting there, friends. We just finished the box of FRUIT LOOPS I bought last time, ok? I hope the kids like the puffed brown rice. It was $1 for 6oz which is pretty cheap and we can control the sugar we add.

My poor kids. I bought plain yogurt with the hopes of mixing some fruit in. I get home take a bag of frozen bluberries (that I froze last year) and put them in the blender with 100% apple juice. I add the mixture to the yogurt and serve it with dinner. They did not like it. I got some sweet toothed kids. I put a little honey in it and they liked it! I guess they need to sugar detox too. It's out of control, really.

PS - I attempted apple chips today. FAIL. They cooked for 2hrs at 200 and were not crisp, but I ate them. It might take some tweaking, but I will perfect it.

Breakfast - PB
Lunch - Apple, carrots, hummus
Mid Afternoon - Banana
Dinner - Avocado, chewy apple chips, mushrooms and hummus
Dessert - Cup of the blueberry apple juice mixture (tasted sweet to me, lol) and PB

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you've latched onto the wonders of kale yet, but you can also make kale chips in pretty much the same way, and they're awesome.

    As for reducing your kids' sugar intake... they might not like it at first (I whined like a baby for a few months while adjusting to a mainly sugar-free diet earlier this school year) but now I'm really glad that I've become more sensitized to variations in sweetness. When everything you eat is full of sugar, nothing tastes particularly sweet. Now stuff flavored only with apple cider tastes really sweet, and regular candy and mints are completely overpowering.

    Anyway, just wanted to let you and Kelly know that I'm praying for you guys! It's really awesome to know that there are people back home interested in healthy, local, organic food and it's not just college kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! Yeah, the kids will adjust...eventually, lol. Really appreciate your prayers, we need them!

    ReplyDelete