Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Kelly's Day 35/36: Happy Birthday to ME!

Happy Birthday to ME!
Normally, for your birthday, you at very least, get cake. That won't be happening this year, either. It's been four years since I had birthday cake on my birthday. Birthday cake is my very favorite thing. Buttercream frosting is the bomb. I love it. 

I got a starfish necklace for my birthday! I got a little nervous when my husband pulled out a jewelry box. My taste in jewelry is hard to pin down. I peeked inside and found a starfish necklace. I was a little disappointed to begin with because I knew he was trying to remind me of my starfish experience, and I thought, 'This starfish is perfect. There's no way he found a 'less-than-perfect' starfish. There's no way anyone makes them.' Then, I realized that it WAS a 'less-than-perfect' starfish necklace. Dallas then explained that he had it custom made based off of this picture of a starfish that I caught on a recent trip to visit my friend, Kyla, in Key West.


My Original Starfish post:
"I went out hunting for manatees today. They are elusive. Special. Rare. The other day, when I went to a paddle yoga class, I saw probably 100 starfish. They are a dime a dozen, or they were two days ago. As I was paddling today, my hopes of seeing a wild manatee dwindling, I thought to myself, 'Well, I'll just go catch one of those hundreds of starfish, a huge one without defect.' When I arrived to the same place I saw literally hundreds of starfish yesterday, I found ONE, and thinking to myself, 'Please be HUGE! BEAUTIFUL! UNDAMAGED!' I pulled it up out of the water only to realize that it HAD been damaged. It had lost an arm and had been growing a new one. God flooded me with truth in that shallow, Key West water: My God is the Creator! He makes all things new! He HAS BEEN making all things new! This little starfish had his arm severed off, but in time, God is knitting him back together...as good as new...better...stronger...more beautiful than before. And, the promise is that He is ALSO making YOU and ME into something NEW! My breath was taken away. My focus shifted. My heart soared. All of the sudden, my hunt for a manatee had been completed with the catch of a 'less-than-perfect' starfish. God's glory in the palm of my hand."

I can hardly believe that I can now wear that story around my neck! It's the perfect reminder to me that God IS STILL making all things new in my life! I am that starfish...broken, ruined, helpless. I am being made new. He is in the process of growing new things in my life. He is in the process of making beauty from ashes in my life.

A big thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes! You are also loved!
Grace and Peace~
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment