Monday, March 23, 2015

Kelly's Day 34 or something: ICHTHUS lessons from the Mysore Room

The past two days, I have found much encouragement in this verse:

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

The reason? It was tattooed on a guy's arm in our Ashtanga Mysore room. This guy was visiting from out of town. I was just encouraged to know that I had a Brother-In-Christ who was practicing nearby. I didn't even have the opportunity to talk with him, but he practices into the fourth series of Ashtanga, and I've never seen that in real life before...it was ridiculous. Back to the verse. I was so "at home" knowing I wasn't the only one living out my faith in the room, or at least he was speaking out his faith through permanent ink...on his skin. I could be wrong, but I don't think "lukewarm" people tattoo bible verses on one arm and crosses on the other. Even though I didn't carry on a conversation with this guy, God taught me some things through his tattoo:

1~It's important to have fellowship among Believers. Hebrews 10: 25 says, "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another..." That's why Kristin came down to visit, and it's why I will try to travel up there this summer. We haven't given up on our friendship...despite the miles. But, when you're the "lone ranger" in a people group, or in ministry, it can get you down. The burden is too much for one person to bear alone. Jesus sent the disciples out two by two, not on their own (Mark 6: 6-13). We are meant to be "in it" together.

2~I was reminded of the persecution in the early Church. Early Christians were often murdered for professing their faith in Jesus Christ. Back then, knowing who your Brothers and Sisters in Christ were was so important...the fellowship among believers had to have been so sweet. The persecution was so fierce that they came up with a symbol so they would be able to know when they were talking to another Christian. Walking up to each other, one would draw an arch in the sand with his/her foot. If the other person was a Christian, he/she would meet that arch with a matching arch, creating the shape of a fish, or Ichthus. This guy in the Mysore room also had an Ichthus tattooed on his arm...right next to Galatians 2:20.


In Greek, the letters that spell ICHTHUS are the first letters that stand for the meaning
"JESUS CHRIST, SON OF GOD, SAVIOR"

The Greek Letters can be overlayed to make a wheel:


Overlaying these Greek letters provided another way to proclaim Jesus as the Son of God and Savior while maintaining secrecy. 


In yoga, WHEEL pose is a very difficult heart opener. In Ashtanga yoga, we work hard to walk our hands toward our feet, eventually grabbing our own ankles. Some days, my back feels open. I feel like I have a lot of space and flexibility in my back. I walk my hands toward my feet. Other days, my back feels stiff, like it's not going anywhere. When you're in wheel, your heart is exposed, open, vulnerable. Are you following me? Some days, our hearts are WIDE OPEN to what God has in store for us! Our hearts cry out for Jesus, the Son of God, Savior...ICHTHUS! Other days, our hearts are inwardly focused, heavy.

I can in NO WAY relate to the persecution the early Christians faced at the hand of the Romans. However, as a Christian in today's society, I find great comfort in knowing there are people "on my team" out there blazing trails before me and beside me. And, from now on, when I'm working on wheel, I will do it with heart wide open because I'll ACTUALLY BE ICHTHUS in a pose that represents to me:
JESUS
SON OF GOD
SAVIOR
Come, Lord Jesus~
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment