Sunday, March 8, 2015

Kelly's Day 18: Vapor

There's something so beautiful about an early morning soccer game early in the Spring season. Somehow, when it's bone chilling cold, everything seems quieter than normal. Driving down to our soccer complex at 7:30 yesterday morning for our first game out of six that we cheered through yesterday, we noticed that everything was covered in frost. Don't get me wrong, I've seen frost before. We see it every morning on the grass, but I noticed it on the bushes and naked tree limbs, on rooftops, on cars yesterday. My youngest asked how that frost got there, which spurred my Biology major husband to teach her about how the air is comprised of billions of water droplets, and when the dew point matches the temperature, it freezes on the grass and everywhere. It might have been a little "heady" of a lesson for a preschooler, but I enjoyed it. After learning about dew points, my Little Red Pixie "tapped out" of the conversation and started singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." He and I continued...

I told him, "It's pretty amazing that this water vapor is ALWAYS in the air, but we cannot see it and pay no attention to it until it turns into something we CAN see, something that affects us, something we have to scrape off of our windshield in the morning."

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." ~2 Corinthians 5: 18

We actually pay attention to the vapor when it comes in the form of frost. What if we paid attention to the unseen, the vapor? And, HOW do we DO that? This verse tells us to "fix our eyes...on what is unseen." 

"But my eyes are fixed on you, Sovereign LORD; in you I take refuge-do not give me over to death." ~Psalm 141: 8

In yoga, we have this thing called "drishti." I means "gaze." It's important in all poses, but in certain poses, it's incredibly important. For example, if you are in an arm balance, and your gaze is the floor beneath you, that is the next place your face will be (Your gaze should be in front of you). In standing balances, it's important to find a fixed spot. Fix your eyes on that spot, and people can walk in between you and that spot, they can walk all around you, and you will maintain your pose (assuming that your feet are firmly rooted into the ground). I'm essentially saying that your gaze is where you are going. Your body posture will entirely change if you have the wrong drishti; it can literally cause you to fall. 

So, we fix our eyes on what is unseen, on Jesus, because He is eternal. All these other things that come between us and what we fix our eyes on are merely distractions. If our eyes are truly fixed on Him, we will not fall. 

Grace and Peace~
Kelly


No comments:

Post a Comment