Wednesday, March 4, 2015

'Cheesy' Kale Chips are LEGIT

So. I have way more to write later, but last night we didn't have YL club due to ice. Our driveway was an actual skating rink.

 This gave Andy and I a night to breathe and BOY...we needed it. After dinner, I looked in the fridge and noticed the kale wilting a bit. Time to try this healthy cheez-it knock off recipe. My sarcasm and doubts were HIGH. But, after seeing these in the Alternative Choices health store for $6.79 for a 4oz bag? I was never ever gonna buy them so the ONLY option was making them myself.

Paleo Cheez-Its, Just 'Cheezey' Kale Chips
I mean...really? The picture doesn't help...

Eh. I gave it a go. THEY ARE DELICIOUS!!!!! If you can get past the smell and the fact that you spend about 2.5 hours making them!! The smell is totally weird. I even texted Kelly while they were cooking

Here's my final product. Pinterest VICTORY!

Andy actually liked them. A LOT. Nastassja didn't like them at all. Eh. More for me (:

Here's the recipe from CupcakesOMG!
"Cheezey" Kale Chips
Makes about 4 servings
  • 2 bunches of kale
  • 1.5 cups raw unsalted cashews
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and roughly chopped
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1 lemon, peeled and de-seeded as much as possible
  • salt to taste
1. Soak cashews in water for at least an hour before starting.
2. Preheat your oven to it's lowest setting, about 180 or 200 degrees F. 
3. Drain cashews and set aside. Tear kale leaves off stems and into large chunks (they'll shrink as they bake).
4. Add cashews, bell pepper, garlic, coconut aminos, olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon, and salt to a food processor. Puree until everything is really smooth. It will be thick.
5. In a large bowl, combine kale leaves with cheezey cashew paste--you'll have to use your fingers to "paint" the chips with the paste, so prepare to get messy, but get it evenly on the chips. This is the good stuff!
6. Lay kale chips flat on a baking sheet in one layer (don't pile them on top of each other). Bake in the oven for an hour, then flip them over. Bake until they're completely dry (about another hour).
7. Store in an airtight container!

Kristin's notes: I made sure the Kale chips were dry before I mixed them with the 'cheese' mixture'. Also, I did not have lemons so I used 1 tbs of Lemon juice concentrate instead. I spread them on two baking sheets and made use of my double oven to be sure they cooked evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment