Sunday, March 1, 2015

Kelly's Day 12: Come

Just hit play and read on...


My sweet friend, Ruth prayed this prayer: "Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders." When you pray prayers like that, you had better be ready for the Spirit to lead you where your trust is without borders. She found her son unresponsive. He had a brain bleed, was life flighted to University of Virginia for brain surgery, had tumors on his spine and consequently had chemo treatments. He was six when this started. Trust without borders is what my friend, Ruth, has now. The Spirit DID lead her out upon the waters, and you know what? She walked on them...holding Jesus's hand the whole time. She is my hero. Her faith is unshakeable. Her eyes were ever upon the Lord. She pointed everyone back to the Maker...The Great Physician...through the whole trial, and even now continues to.

The following story can be found in Matthew Chapter 14, verses 22-36.
There was a BIG storm on the Sea of Galilee, and Jesus's disciples had gone ahead of him to the other side of the lake. Jesus walked on the water out to them. These big, strong fishermen "cried out in fear ~Matthew 14: 26." Jesus called out to them "Take courage! it is I. Don't be afraid. ~Matt 14: 27"

"'Lord, if it's you,' Peter replied, 'tell me to come to you on the water.' ~Matt 14: 28"
IF?
Sweet Peter, WHO ELSE WOULD IT BE?
WHO?
"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." ~Acts 4: 12

Jesus had something for our Peter to learn:
"Come."
This was a "Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders" moment. Ever had one? Has God taken you into uncharted territory? Ever heard "Come" and actually GONE? Even more sobering...ever heard "Come" and NOT gone? Sometimes, when we hear the whisper "step outta the boat," we feel the after effects for years...even our whole lives, as my friend, Ruth, will.

When Jesus says "Come," and we actually GO, we'd better step forward onto the waters with firm feet and steady faith. When Peter stepped out toward Jesus onto the water (that was, no doubt, still rocking the boat), his eyes were fixed on Jesus, but when the WIND came, and he FELT that wind, "he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, 'Lord, save me!'" When he reacted to his senses (the wind touching his skin), his human brain could only comprehend that he was going down. When, all this time Peter had spent with Jesus, he had seen the supernatural! In fact, he had JUST SEEN the supernatural when he saw with his own two eyes Jesus walking on the water! And, SECONDS later, fear took over...sinking...sinking...sinking. Fear will sink you like that.

"Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. 'You of little faith,' he said, 'why did you doubt?'"

Peter stepped out of the boat in such bold faith, anyone would have commended him for it, but his faith was only knee deep, and Jesus called him out on it.

"Lord, God, I don't want faith that is KNEE DEEP like Peter's was in this story! Nor do I want faith that is SKIN DEEP! Because we FEEL with our skin, God! I don't want faith that is dictated by FEELINGS! I want SOUL DEEP faith! I want faith that makes its way into the DEEP crevices of my being...of my HEART, Lord! Give me THAT kind of faith! ~Amen."

The problem here is glaring. Pray for patience, and the Lord is not going to give you PATIENCE. He is going to give you instances in which you can PRACTICE patience, and he will give you many, many lessons until you ARE patient. It is the same with faith. If you pray for faith, you will not be granted FAITH, but rather, instances in which you can PRACTICE faith. We will be given instances where we can practice "being SURE of what we hope for and CERTAIN of what we do not see. ~Hebrews 11:1 

I did eat today, but it's of little consequence.
Grace and Peace~
Kelly





No comments:

Post a Comment