Friday, March 6, 2015

Kelly's Day 17: It's going pretty well!

Some friends are starting to ask me how the actual FAST is going. I can't say I've forgotten to post about it. I just haven't found what I'm eating to be relevant to what I'm learning. But, today I will give you a little update.

Being "beyond vegan" has officially become my normal. I don't really miss grains or meat. Grains have been the thing I missed the most in the past. Not so much this time. I wanted rice to go along with the Thai food I made for dinner a few nights ago. It was good without it. I wouldn't mind having something sweet here or there, but when I eat foods with sugar in them, they just don't taste as good anymore anyway, so why bother (for those of you wondering, NO. I'm NOT eating sugar on this fast. I pretty much cut sugar out of my diet sometime last Fall)

My main focus (food wise) this time has been FUELING my body so I can continue my normal daily activities. My Ashtanga practice burns somewhere around 400 calories per hour, which means I expend at least 500 calories per day during my practice. I run my kids around to soccer, running club,  and gymnastics. We have six soccer games to watch tomorrow, and I'm PUMPED! Then, there's the making meals, grocery shopping, which typically involves me driving all over Charlotte because there's essentially one option down here in Lake Wylie...Walmart. And, whereas Walmart has gotten some organic options, they don't have the selection that Whole Foods, Trader Joes or Earth Fare have. I will discontinue speaking of Walmart now because Mama always said that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. And, to be honest, running a roost of five kiddos requires no small amount of energy.

So, my typical days look like this:

Breakfast:
Fruit smoothie or this bird seed looking granola bar. It's seeds, not granola. They're awesome...especially dipped in peanut butter, in which case, you actually have eaten bird food. I'm okay with that.

Snack:
Nuts.
~or~
Those bird seed things.

Lunch:
Soup or veggies and hummus+some form of protein (ie. nuts)

Snack:
Usually nuts...you get the picture.
~or~
veggies

Dinner:
Sometimes I make a vegan meal that my family will actually eat. Most of the time, I eat soup, or avocados or veggies and hummus.

I've been drinking TONS of water because of the amount of sweat that pours forth from my body during my Ashtanga practice.

I'm sure I'm getting enough calories because I'm  not overly tired, and I'm eating a LOT of nuts. I don't ever weigh myself, so I can't know if I've lost any weight. I don't care, either. This is not a diet. I've really been careful to make sure that I eat what I need to during the day to prepare my body for tomorrow. I feel strong when I need to be strong, energized when I need energy, and exhausted when I need sleep! In short, I know we've done this before, but this time around, I'm going at it with a different mindset, one in which I'm actually honoring my body:

"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple." ~1 Corinthians 3: 16-17

If our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit has some WORK TO DO through us, how is He going to be able to get anything done if our bodies are unhealthy, weak and tired?! We have to sustain ourselves and offer God a "clean house" to live in so that we can do these big things which God has planned in advance for us to do!

So, it's been going well! Thanks for asking, everyone!

"And, whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." ~Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment