Saturday, March 28, 2015

Kelly's Day 38:fellowship and Transvestites

Y'all, I'm in Asheville, NC for the weekend. Dallas bought me the Kino McGregor Ashtanga Yoga workshop for Christmas, and it happened to be the weekend closest to my birthday. It was really one of those "two-fer" gifts. 😉 So, here I am in Asheville....this beautiful mountain town is known to be entirely eclectic. The fashion? Your latest thrift store find! The foods? Local and organic. The latest hairstyle? Dreads. And, the car of choice for the locals seems to be the Subaru Outback. It's the kind of town that you feel guilty for not bringing your own shopping bag, which (arguably) is how it should be. 

When my Holy Yoga Sister, Amy, found out that I'd be in Asheville, she immediately messaged me to see if she could come out and meet up with me. She lives just an hour away in Tennessee. That was a no brainier! YES, PLEASE! We met up at the Asheville Yoga Center for a "Warm Flow and Yin" class. We got there early, rolled out our mats and just began chatting up a storm. Everyone else just disappeared...until the teacher came up to introduce herself. We had sunk into so intense a discussion that we thought she had come to tell us to hush! The class was beautiful. We flowed through some Moon Salutations, which I feel are known in the yoga world to be the Sun Salutations' "Red Headed Step Sister." They are totally underestimated. 

Last night, a Transvestite practiced with us. I examined my heart. Was there judgement? No. I don't believe there was. However, I found myself not knowing how to interact with her. It was in a yoga class. No interaction necessary, right? But, after class, Amy walked right up to her and commented on how much she loved her fuzzy, electric blue balero jacket. The transvestite looked at me with a questioning look: "Am I safe with you, too?" She looked up at me (she was sitting down pulling on her knee high socks and boots). As our eyes met, my heart cracked wide open. I saw her JUST as Jesus sees her at that moment. This beautiful creation had been so judged by Christians and non Christians alike that she had to quickly survey whether we were filled with hate, but when met with love and non judgement, she opened right up. I wish I'd asked her for her name. I wish I'd blessed her. I don't feel like I was equipped for that interaction. What Christian goes to that people group with the Message of hope, redemption and love? WHO will go? If we are a people who are to "Make Disciples of all the nations," we are FAILING if we are going in the spirit of judgement. We are failing if we chose to "weed out" those who are being saved because we are afraid or uncomfortable.  If we are going with the intent that there are some people who are just "too far gone," we put OURSELVES in on God's throne. Lord, forgive me. I repent. Please, take your scepter back. Thank you, Amy, for showing me HOW TO LOVE. You love just like Jesus, sweet friend.

Amy and I went to a vegan restaurant for dinner. Again, loving like Jesus, she googled restaurants that would work into my fast...putting me first. We talked for hours. I was completely humbled by this lady, who works out her faith. It's clear! She is ACTUALLY THE Good Samaritan. She took in a homeless lady who had a drug and alcohol addiction, fed her, clothed her, gave her housing....she gave dry bones LIFE...leading her to the foot of the cross. I don't know ANYONE else like her. She is true and real. She messes up, too...we all do, but she keeps short accounts, and even in her "mess ups," she points to Jesus, the One and Only, who redeems our "mess ups." Our night together was TRUE fellowship. It's how life SHOULD be. I miss her already. It's what we have to look forward to in Heaven! 

"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news." ~Romans 10:15
Who
Will
Go?

Grace and Peace~
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment