Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Kelly's First day of March

Howdy.
I am back in the land of the living.
Admittedly, I wanted to die last weekend.
Strep is a ferocious beast.
To give you an example of my weekend, Saturday, I:
1~Watched four movies.
2~Took a two hour nap.
3~Ate four cans of soup.

It was the first nice weekend we've had since November, but whatev. And, by "whatev," I mean "WHY?! WHY?! WHY ME?!"
Yep.
My ugly is showing.

So, I had some time to think over the weekend in between all my chick flicks and naps and soups. I even think I dreamt up a pretty darn good book idea. So, in my spare time, I think I've decided to write. Look for my book at bookstands everywhere in the springtime of 2030 (Will they even have book stands then?)! I digress (what's new).

So, I was thinking...

Do I know enough people that are NOT like me?
Do I know enough people who do NOT believe what I believe?
Who do not THINK like I think?
Who do not have the same political views I have?
Do I know enough poor people? Rich people? Young people? Old people? Asians? African-Americans? Mexican-Americans? Gay people? Homeless (gulp)? Immigrants? Germans? Okay, so I've got the Germans covered (and, if you start one more of your little "let's annoy Kelly by posting random German junk on her FB page"...it's over. You just remember, people, I bought GIRL SCOUT COOKIES FROM YOU, AND I CAN'T EVEN EAT THEM!).

If we're friends only with people like ourselves, we will become narrow minded and religiously (is that a word) apathetic. Is THAT what I am? Is THAT what I've become? Instead of having intellectual conversations regarding differences and learning what it is that makes people tick, what their passions and convictions are, am I lazily having surface level conversations with them and avoiding any topic of conversation that might be considered controversial? I mean, don't get me wrong. I don't like "cleaning up" after some angry conversation with someone that went awry. That's never fun, but can't we respectfully carry on a conversation  regarding differing beliefs in the spirit of trying to KNOW someone on a more personal level without World War III breaking out?

Just wanted to share a few thoughts out there. I'll let you know if they develop into anything "noteworthy." :)

Happy Tuesday, Y'all!
It's a beautiful day in South Carolina, so I'm going to go enjoy the sunshine since I'm not on my death bed anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment